Costco relies on cloud-based payroll to drive digital transformation
Dealing with the challenges of an unsustainable legacy platform, a fortnightly pay cycle and a tight implementation deadline, Costco turned to SD Worx for a payroll solution that made digital transformation effortless.
Costco pays its UK employees on a fortnightly pay cycle, previously reliant on an unsupported and outdated system that was never intended to manage payroll.
A forward-thinking retailer, Costco started the search for a new payroll solution that would drive digital transformation without introducing complexities. The brief included ease of use, data security, compliance, accuracy and a self-service functionality. Ultimately, stakeholders were seeking a cloud-based payroll solution that could be deployed in just a few months to effortlessly run the fortnightly pay cycle for thousands of employees.
The SD Worx solution
Costco thoroughly researched the market before undertaking a stringent vendor risk management assessment for their first choice, SD Worx. Having previously attended SD Worx networking and webinars, Costco felt reassured of their payroll and technical expertise. During procurement, the pre-sales team truly listened to their needs, taking key personnel through several product demonstrations. Highlights of the software solution included the simplicity of the interface, the user experience and advanced reporting options.
It was always going to be a challenge to replace a bespoke legacy system in a tight timeframe, but SD Worx and Costco worked tirelessly together to test and finetune implementation of a SaaS solution. They moved their payroll successfully to the cloud ahead of schedule and under budget.
The Benefits & Impacts
- Continuity of service from pre-sales through to implementation, training and account management
- Ideal scalability for the retail sector with its seasonal peaks and variable pay scales
- A quality experience for staff, maintaining Costco’s reputation as an attractive place to work
- SaaS is proving to be a sustainable investment, saving time and money and reducing manual processes and carbon footprint
- Collaborative partnership between SD Worx and Costco
- The limitations of the legacy system have been eradicated